Friday, June 18, 2010

Kindle Update Soon?

June 18, 2010 Cindy O'Neal

Quick way to tell when you have been updated is to press your Menu button while your Kindle is on the Home screen. Here is what you will see.
  1. Turn Wireless Off
  2. Shop in Kindle Store
  3. View Archived Items
  4. Search
  5. Create New Collection (will appear if you are updated)
  6. Sync & Check for Items
  7. Settings
  8. Experimental
My Kindle DX updated naturally a few days ago (probably in the middle of the night). I have been driving myself crazy constantly pressing the Menu button on my Kindle 2 and finally decided to put me out of my misery and download the update. It wasn't bad at all. I had to remove my Kindle from its cover to look at the back for the serial number to make sure I downloaded the proper file. The file only took a few minutes to download (but I have a very fast connection). Then I transferred the file to the root directory of my Kindle, disconnected it properly from the computer, then pressed the Menu button, then Settings, then Menu again and chose Update Your Kindle. The whole thing took about 10 minutes or so. I did feel really good when the Kindle restarted and my familiar Home screen reappeared. Updating manually can be a risky proposition. 

I'm good to go now! Hope you have yours by now, and if you don't, I hope you are a lot more patient than I have been!

Tomorrow... look for a more complete how to on Collections. It is an amazing new feature, and a great way to organize that library on your Kindle.