Thursday, June 03, 2010

Bibliophile


(BIB-lee-uh-fyl)
also bibliophil (-fil) or bibliophilist (bib-lee-OF-uh-list) noun
1. A lover of books.
2. A collector of books.

Etymology
Biblio-, book + -phile, lover of.
Usage
"The 17th-century bibliophile George Thomason, whose specialty was seditious tracts, once buried his collection of over 22,000 publications, fearing their discovery, by the Army. What if he'd died, before he was able to retrieve them? " Albert Goldbarth, Canyon, Gorge, Arroyo, Poetry, Oct 1999.


If the shoe fits....


Even though the free offerings from Amazon seem to be fewer, you couldn't possibly have read all the free offerings made available over the last few months. Now's the time to relax and enjoy your collection. I am trying really hard not to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of books I haven't read yet, and wonder how my friend Helen manages to be so far ahead of me. I swear that lady just devours books. I love knowing how much she enjoys each one as much as I will when I finally get to them. Right now I'm in the middle of two "hysterical fictions", one from Mary Balogh (A Secret Affair) on my Kindle and How to Treat A Lady (Book 3 by Karen Hawkins) on my iPhone. I'm loving giving that iPhone extra duty, not to mention it gives me all kinds of additional options for even more books. Now all I need is more time! I refuse to feel guilty. Life is entirely too short to feel guilty about taking time to read.


Kindle Quickie: What time is it? You can find out quickly if you have your Kindle in hand. Press the Menu button to see the current time displayed at the top of the screen, along with how much free space is left on your Kindle, and your current connection status. Press the Menu button again to remove the menu and resume reading.