Sunday, August 14, 2011

Oh My!

The Robin Hood trilogy is very exciting... Our hero makes Errol Flynn and Russell Crowe look like a couple of wimps. It's a wonder I get anything done around here!

But Amazon is becoming my hero of late. Seems the iPad and iPhone apps for Amazon had to be updated, changed to keep Apple happy. Now you can't visit the Amazon store directly from the app. You can with iBooks (Could it be it is owned by Apple?), but not with any other book reading app, even if it isn't an Amazon store. Oh well.

Cloud computing to the rescue, dear readers. The next time you are on Amazon.com, do a search for "Cloud Reader." What a wonderful surprise! I use Chrome as my browser of choice (on my Mac and PC), so with just a couple of clicks I had a new "app" for the browser installed and I was looking at a nice list of all my book covers. There is even a slider (upper right) you can use to make the covers larger or smaller. Click any cover and you will be reading the book stored on Amazon's servers, via your Internet connection. Leave it to Amazon to come up with a quick answer to a maiden's prayer.

I haven't had a chance to read a lot about this yet, but I know it is for the Chrome (google) browser, and Safari (officially). This means it will work great for your iPad too. If you haven't tried Chrome as an Internet Explorer replacement for your Mac or PC, you really should. It is a wonderful, fast, and secure browser. You will wonder what you ever did without it. And NOW it does Kindle.


Do spend some time poking around in the Amazon store for this FREE Cloud Reader. You will be glad you did. I love their motto... Buy once, read Anywhere! They really mean it.

PS... You can even visit the Amazon store from this app!