Monday, August 15, 2011

Kindle Skills - Panic Time

One of your fellow readers, Eleanor (in the UK) had a very upsetting experience yesterday...


Dear Cindy,
Every morning when I wake I spend a happy hour, dipping into my "currently reading" folder, and browsing in the Apple store for free books.  This morning I downloaded three, then to my horror my Kindle seized.
I'm in a panic.  I don't know what to do. 
It doesn't respond to anything.  The battery wasn't flat, but although I've put the charger on, it's not responding to that.   The Wireless symbol isn't flashing.  The page it's showing won't "turn".  The Home button is dead, the 5-way controller is dead.  The only thing working is the page that is showing.  (Ironically called "The Devil's Dictionary"!
As the page is showing, it's probably not dead, but it's doing a very convincing act of being dead.
Any ideas, please? 
I've got over 300 books on it, I'd be utterly devastated if I had to bin it and start again.  (I'm thinking too of the expenses, the initial cost, and the many items I have paid for). 
I don't want to commit suicide (just joking), but I do feel the bottom has dropped out of my world.  My Kindle is my best friend.
Oh god, I hope so much you know what to tell me, how to fix it.
Best regards
Eleanor
========
Certainly don't panic... Try holding the power switch for 20 seconds. This should force the Kindle to shut down and restart.

Don't worry about any books you have paid for... Amazon stores them for you in "the cloud", so even if your Kindle  got hit by a truck, you can always put your books on a new one.

If push comes to pull, you may have to phone Amazon customer service. If it is still in warranty, they will probably send you a new one.


Soft Reset: If that doesn't work, try what is called a "soft reset." To do a soft reset on your Kindle press the <ALT>, <Shift>, and <R> keys simultaneously. Your Kindle screen should go blank or dark and then slowly come back to life.

Let me know ok?

Love,
Cindy
============ And there is a happy ending! Her Kindle is back to normal and she is reading happily again.

Don't you just LOVE happy endings?