Sunday, August 28, 2011

Finger Food

Yesterday I decided to whip up a batch of crispy caramel popcorn so I could settle in and spend some quality time with Through A Dark Mist... didn't want to starve because I couldn't put it down. I love Robin Hood stories, and this is the first of a trilogy!

Remember
Cracker Jacks?
As I was getting the ingredients ready to put into the microwave, I realized I was totally out of white corn syrup. Oh horrors! I did find a nice jar of sorghum molasses in the pantry though and substituted 1/4 cup of that instead. Best mistake I ever made! YUMMY!

You can find the recipe (and lots of others) in My Family Cookbook, but I'm giving it to you today, dear reader.

Enjoy!
Microwave Caramel Pop Corn
This is so easy it is disgusting!
  • 6 qt. popped corn
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1/4 c. white corn syrup
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. soda
In a microwave safe (I use a 4 cup pyrex mixing cup) bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir; microwave on high for 2 more minutes (make sure it boils a full minute). Stir in soda.
Special Note: Make sure you have a large enough mixing cup/bowl. The sugar mixture will grow like crazy while it is carmallizing. Watch it carefully!
Pour mixture over the popcorn in a large buttered bowl. Use latex gloved (buttered) hands to toss gently to mix, or carefully use a large spoon. Take your time. It will be well worth it.

And of course... shameless promotion below.
  
Ask Mrs. Wizard: Please send me a personal email (mrswizard@mrswizard.com) if you have any questions. I answer all my emails and am more than happy to help any time I can. Your questions mean a lot to me, and may even inspire an article that will help others and make this a more valuable resource to anyone who reads it. 


If you are reading this on your computer and would like to have this blog delivered to your Kindle wirelessly every day, click the link below. New subscribers will get the first two weeks free! If you know of a fellow Kindle owner, please share a good word and let them know about From the Desk of Mrs. Wizard - A Kindle Blog