Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kindle Skills - Windows Utilities

A very special Thank You to Ralph for asking me how to print the contents of a folder of his (full of ebooks of course). I have a feeling many of you will enjoy this little free tool for your Windows computer.


Karen's Directory Printer is a freeware program that is a must have for anyone who has a directory (folder) with a lot of files (ebook collection?) in it and would like to print a copy of the file names so you can browse it any time you want. I choose the Save to Disk tab and save the folder contents as a text file. That way I can peruse it on my computer screen, search it with Windows normal search tools, and share it with others who may want to see the list. It is very intuitive and easy to use, and you can't beat the price. She has other utilities on her site you may want to explore too.

I have been using this tool since Windows XP, and it works fine on my Windows 7 machine too. Once installed, it gives me an additional right click option for a folder - Print with DirPrn. The rest is just poking around and having fun with it.

Unfortunately there isn't a version of this for Macs, but I have a feeling if you did a nice google search, there is bound to be a little similar free goodie out there for us Mac users too.

You can read more about this little tool and download it if you wish at http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

If you are on your Kindle, you need to visit this place from your computer if you want to download it.