Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Kindle Skills - Ask Mrs. Wizard

Special Thanks to Judy B for this question!

Hello!
I just stumbled on to your site and I love it!
I am new with the Kindle,(and not that savvy with my PC).  I understand how to download e-books from Amazon (the 1-click thing).   However, I am going to take/am taking a Real Estate course and they sent e-books to my computer.  I downloaded them into an Acrobat Adobe file and they are presently sitting on my desktop.  I want to get them onto my new Kindle.  I don't know what format they are other than Acrobat Adobe.  One person suggested I turn them into  PDF files???  Is there anything else I can do to convert the e-books whereas I don't have to pay for the PDF conversion?  It would be very helpful for me if I didn't have to lug my PC around  and I could instead read the e-books from my Kindle..
PS:  I am a new subscriber to your daily info as of tonight!
Thank YOU for your help with this problem.
Judy

Answer:
If they are Adobe acrobat files they are already pdf files... there is no need to do anything else other than copy them to the documents folder on your kindle

You need to see the whole file name. Right click on the file and choose properties and tell me what one of those file names are... it should be  something.pdf if they are pdf files.

you need to understand file names and types... and understand exactly where you are downloading them from and to... like from Amazon to your Kindle... or from someone who sent them to your email to your desktop on your computer... then from there you can drag them to your kindle documents folder.

Hope this helps some :)
I have quite a bit on the site about file management. It is a valuable Kindle skill and a valuable computer skill.

Searching this blog:
You (dear readers) can search this blog for specific help by using certain words... a good search phrase to use is adult view. Another one is file management. Either type these words into the search box at the top of this blog on the web, or type them with your Kindle and search this blog with it. These two phrases will help you find things I have written in the recent past to help you with the most important skill you will ever use, with your Kindle or just with a computer. If you can understand files and how to manage them better, you will be much more comfortable with a computer. And if you ever want to explore free books from places other than Amazon, you need this skill.

There is a reason I call it the Adult View.
Ask Mrs. Wizard:
Please send me a personal email (mrswizard@mrswizard.com) if you have any questions. I answer all my emails and am more than happy to help any time I can. Your questions mean a lot to me, and may even inspire an article that will help others and make this a more valuable resource to anyone who reads it. 

If you are reading this on your computer and would like to have this blog delivered to your Kindle wirelessly every day, click the link below. New subscribers will get the first two weeks free! If you know of a fellow Kindle owner, please share a good word and let them know about From the Desk of Mrs. Wizard.