Monday, January 10, 2011

Ask Mrs. Wizard - Text To Speech

Hello:
I just received a kindle 3 for Christmas. I really enjoy your blog and subscribed to it just a day or two after receiving my kindle - plus I am from NW TN, so we have that in common! This question is probably elementary, but how can you tell (after you have acquired several books) if a book is TTS enabled? I noticed it on the amazon page, but after they are already on your kindle, is there a place you can see if they are TTS enabled?

Thank you,
Debbie

Thank YOU for your kind words Debbie. May you have many wonderful years with your new Kindle! I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I enjoy sharing the information and fun I discover every day for our Kindles. It really is a labor of love on my part.

To answer your question about how to tell if text to speech is enabled... When you open a book, press the Aa key to bring up the fonts size choices and TTS menu. If text to speech is not enabled for that particular book, you will see the TTS area is greyed out and unavailable.
If you are considering purchasing a book, you should see a small area just below the price and other information to indicate if Text to Speech is enabled or not. If you click the little down arrow to the right, you can see more related details.
Ask Mrs. Wizard: Please send me a personal email (mrswizard@mrswizard.com) if you have any questions. I answer all my emails and am more than happy to help any time I can. Your questions mean a lot to me, and may even inspire an article that will help others and make this a more valuable resource to anyone who reads it. 

If you are reading this on your computer and would like to have this blog delivered to your Kindle wirelessly every day, click the link below. New subscribers will get the first two weeks free! If you know of a fellow Kindle owner, please share a good word and let them know about From the Desk of Mrs. Wizard - A Kindle Blog