Saturday, January 15, 2011

Ask Mrs. Wizard - Kindle Viruses?

I love my Kindle and I like that I can get onto the web however I wonder if my kindle is susceptible to viruses, either through browsing the internet, emails, blogs or during book and document downloads or transfers.
Thanks!
Helen
===================
Helen this is a GREAT question!  I hope you don't mind if I share it with the rest.

I don't think you have to worry about getting viruses on your Kindle. If anyone had gotten one so far, it probably would have made the national news! One of the reasons is the operating system on the Kindle. The Kindle uses Linux, an open source operating system at its core, with a few proprietary enhancements built just for Amazon. While your Kindle can get on the Internet and do basic things (very basic), it can't do anything that can give it cooties. The files you can download and transfer to your Kindle are not virus carrying file types either. Actually, you can only download Kindle specific files, so that makes a Kindle even more secure. Even a Word document, which can carry macro viruses, would have to be converted to a Kindle file type, or compatible file type, that cannot carry macro cooties.

Maybe some day some creep will write one for the Kindle, but the odds are pretty slim. It's sort of like a Mac. While a Mac can get a virus, there aren't many programmers wasting time writing them for it. They are having too much fun writing cooties for Windows computers. Sorry... I just couldn't resist that last bit of information.