Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Kindle Skills - Audio Books



Use the audible folder for more control...
audible folder (audio books from audible.com or mp3 audio books or mp3 music files)

This is for audible.com files (subscription required) but also for mp3 files you may want more control over (rather than just putting them in the music folder on your Kindle)
Place mp3 files (book, music, old time radio shows) in this folder on your Kindle. When you disconnect your Kindle from the computer, you will see these files listed much like any other book. These have special "powers." You can organize them in collections. Click one to play and you will see regular audio controls at the bottom of your Kindle screen. Use the spacebar to start/stop or use the 5 way controller to navigate to the control you want to use, then press in on the center to make it happen.

    The Kindle... not just for reading with your eyes
    I love audio books. There was a time when my eyes had gotten so bad, my reading ability was pretty much gone. I was heartbroken at first. I couldn't stand the thought of not being able to read again. I tried a few audiobooks and at first, just couldn't enjoy them.... short attention span, easily distracted, and felt nailed to a chair when I tried to listen to a book. I eventually fell in love with them when I discovered I could combine a 3 mile health walk with a great book. It was amazing! There is nothing that can compare with having some of the Mark Twain classics read to you by a real Southerner... or a horror novel read to you by the author himself (Stephen King).

    If you are going on a trip and will have your Kindle close by, it might be a great time for you to check out Audible.com and sample a few audio books yourself. Your Kindle will handle Audible files just fine, as well as Mp3 files you find elsewhere.  Make use of the special folder on your Kindle for Audible files. You just need to download them and transfer them to that folder on your Kindle via the USB cable that came with it.

    Ask Mrs. Wizard:
    Please send me a personal email (mrswizard@mrswizard.com) if you have any questions. I answer all my emails and am more than happy to help any time I can. Your questions mean a lot to me, and may even inspire an article that will help others and make this a more valuable resource to anyone who reads it. 

    If you are reading this on your computer and would like to have this blog delivered to your Kindle wirelessly every day, click the link below. New subscribers will get the first two weeks free! If you know of a fellow Kindle owner, please share a good word and let them know about From the Desk of Mrs. Wizard.