Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ask Mrs. Wizard - USB Device Mode

Q: Hi,
A friend just bought me a Kindle. After learning that I could not check out book from the library with it, I was a bit disappointed as I am on a fixed income. So when I learned about your site and manybooks.net, I figured I could still use this new device. I was able to download a book from manybooks.net to my desktop. However, when I plug in my Kindle to the computer, a screen comes onto it that says USB Device Mode - if you'd like to read or shop on your Kindle while continue to charge over USB, please keep the USB cable attached, but eject your Kindle from your computer. I can't not get out of this screen mode at all - the page forward, home, menu, back, etc buttons do not allow the screen to change. I even tried copying my file into the kindle file on the computer - which it let me do - but I don't know how to get that to the actual Kindle. If you could help me get over this hump, I would be grateful and feel like this was a worthwhile purchase for my friend. Thanks so much!

A: You are going to love your Kindle... especially when you find out how to get to all the free books on Amazon

When your Kindle is connected to your computer via the usb cable, it can only charge and let you transfer books to it (it sort of becomes an external hard drive). You can use it normally while it is connected and charging but you have to "eject" it from your computer first...

If you are on a Mac... drag the kindle icon to the trash. This will allow you to continue to use your Kindle normally while it charges. Then just disconnect the usb when it is charged.

If you are on a PC... you need to open "my computer" or "computer," right click on the Kindle drive and choose "eject"... that will put your kindle screen back to normal so you can use it while it charges... then you can disconnect from the usb when it is fully charged.

I hope you enjoy your new little machine!
Another thought... before you disconnect your Kindle... When transferring files to your Kindle, make sure the ONLY place you put the book files you download on your Kindle is in the Documents folder on that Kindle. Then, when you disconnect your Kindle from the USB, you will be able to find it on your Home screen when you turn your Kindle back on.

Warmest Regards,
Cindy O'Neal (Mrs. Wizard)

Ask Mrs. Wizard:
Please send me a personal email (mrswizard@mrswizard.com) if you have any questions. I answer all my emails and am more than happy to help any time I can. Your questions mean a lot to me, and may even inspire an article that will help others and make this a more valuable resource to anyone who reads it. 

If you are reading this on your computer and would like to have this blog delivered to your Kindle wirelessly every day, click the link below. New subscribers will get the first two weeks free! If you know of a fellow Kindle owner, please share a good word and let them know about From the Desk of Mrs. Wizard.