Saturday, February 12, 2011

Ask Mrs. Wizard - Chinese


Dear Mrs. Wizard:
 
I am Chinese and would like to read books in Chinese language.  I cannot find any on Amazon.  Do you think Amazon will have Chinese books soon?  I found free Chinese books on Haodoo.net.  But I don't know how to get them on my Kindle.  I tried to download one to my Kindle to read it with the wireless on.  But I could not flip to next page.  I know a lot of Chinese people who own Kindle want to read Chinese books and many who did not buy Kindle is because they don't know where to find the Chinese books to read on Kindle.  I think this is a good topic to write about in your next blog?  Please help.
 
Thanks,
Fan-Chin
===============
Wow!  Thank you for a very interesting question. I think the best people you need to get with are the customer service folks at Amazon. They would have a much better idea of when and/or if any books would be available in Chinese any time soon. They certainly need to know there is an interest. If they think there is enough interest, someone at Amazon will see to it something happens to accomodate that interest.

Haodoo.net sounds like a wonderful place for free books in Chinese, but aside from any special characters that may be needed to see them on the Kindle, you need to pay special attention to the format of the book you are downloading to put into the documents folder on your Kindle. The Kindle will accept the following files:
  • .prc
  • .azw
  • .txt
  • .mobi
I believe the special characters common to the Chinese language are going to be the biggest hurdle. Certainly spend some quality time on the phone with the good folks at Amazon.

I wish you well in your quest!

Warmest Regards,
Cindy