Friday, April 09, 2010

New Kindle Covers

Originally posted April 9, 2010 by Cindy O'Neal

I finally broke down and purchased new leather covers for my Kindle DX and Kindle 2. I figured since I wasn't going to be spending a fortune on a new iPad (not until they support Flash in their browser). Anyhow, the new covers are gorgeous! The DX is sporting a brown M-Edge Platform Jacket. It can be positioned as a book stand when it isn't covering the Kindle. Very nice! The Kindle 2 has a red (can't believe I got that color but I love it) leather, more traditional M-Edge cover (called a GO Jacket). It is very rich looking, has the little hinges for a more secure seating of the Kindle in the cover, as well as two little corner straps to further secure the Kindle in the jacket. The cover can be folded completely back so when you are reading it feels just like a real book (not that it didn't before). I no longer need to reach for a rubber band to set the Kindle on when I want to prop it on the kitchen counter when I'm using a recipe. These leather covers make the the Kindles prop just great! I did kind of like that rubber band trick though. It worked great!

I haven't been totally not protecting them. I did purchase zippered sleeves for each, and they work fine if you are going somewhere and need to stash your Kindle in your pocketbook. God knows if I just tossed them into mine without putting them into a case first, there's no telling what could happen to them....don't even like to think about it! My purse is a hazard in and of itself.

I had been putting off purchasing actual leather covers for my little machines because of all the bad reviews I had seen regarding those hinge slots on the side of the Kindle. Some covers had only the hinges for support and when dropped, Kindle cases (the actual white part of the Kindle) were cracking...not good and folks were really upset. The little corner straps have made all the difference and M-Edge seems to have the nicer covers. They certainly have a great selection. The cover for the DX doesn't even use the hinge slots on the Kindle. Instead it secures all for corners with little straps. I'm very satisfied with both of them.

Bottom line? Save your $$ by reading the reviews for things on Amazon.com. There is nothing like personal experience when it comes to recommending (or not) something.