Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Kindle Killer?

Originally posted April 6, 2010 by Cindy O'Neal

Is the iPad a Kindle killer? I don't think so. It is a very attractive little machine, but Apple seems to be touting its web browsing capability, with a smaller emphasis on its new book store and how the books look on the new little machine. Personally I like the idea of a machine about the size of a Kindle DX that can surf the Internet AND be a nice little reader, but it doesn't seem to be able to surf those web pages that utilize Flash, and that makes the $500+ cost a lot more than I want to spend. I may add a new iPad to my arsenal when it has matured a bit, but right now it isn't in my "gotta have" category... not even close.

Flash (play on words)... I just received a new junk email from a company purporting to be able to "redo" your website to make it more iPad friendly... in other words, remove the flash? I don't like what this even suggests. Right now I don't see any gadget important enough to remove Flash from a site. Who do they think they are? Anyhow?

They won't be getting any dollars from me for a while. Flash is a state of the art, secure way to add animation (and other things) to a website. Surely Apple isn't trying to kill off Adobe?


more to come?