Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Kindle Fire Skills - Books or Docs

There is a choice on the Kindle Fire. When you turn your Kindle Fire on, the top menu is touchable.
Books are books you purchase from Amazon. There is a corresponding folder you can see when you connect your Kindle to your computer with a USB cable. You can also physically drag book files (.mobi, .azw and file types the Kindle likes) into this folder when it is connected via USB. There is no way to really organize these files though, so I would just stick to Amazon purchased only files here. I'm thinking with the Cloud Reader one of the choices when you touch the word Books, there is no need to store hundreds of books on this Kindle. This opinion could change as I learn more.

Docs is for your personal documents and book files acquired from elsewhere (not Amazon). When you connect your Kindle with a USB cable, this will appear as a Documents folder. This is where you can drag compatible book files and personal document files converted into Kindle friendly files. This is also where files go when you use Calibre to send files to your device, or email files to your Kindle email address. I'm thinking I'm going to have a ball with this folder. If it's mine, I can delete its contents and generally wade around in it without worrying about deleting something that may mess up my new little machine.

Remember... The Documents folder on the older Kindles is where you need to put all your book files, so they will be able to be read on your Kindle and appear on the home screen. This applies to personal files, books and books you purchase from Amazon. I don't have a Kindle Touch so I need to find some images (and I haven't found any yet) of the folders on that. I would love to hear from any of you with a Touch so I can squeeze your brain a bit with a few questions.

stay tuned, Dear Readers...

Ask Mrs. Wizard: Please send me a personal email (mrswizard@mrswizard.com) if you have any questions. I answer all my emails and am more than happy to help any time I can. Your questions mean a lot to me, and may even inspire an article that will help others and make this a more valuable resource to anyone who reads it. 
If you are reading this on your computer and would like to have this blog delivered to your Kindle wirelessly every day, click the link below. New subscribers will get the first two weeks free! If you know of a fellow Kindle owner, please share a good word and let them know about From the Desk of Mrs. Wizard - A Kindle Blog
=============
Gift Cards - Always Fit
Shop Amazon's Gift Cards - Perfect Anytime
=========