Friday, June 24, 2011

Ask Mrs. Wizard - Defragging a Kindle?

Special thanks to Tom for this question:

Hello Cindy,
   Your Kindle blog is great and I really enjoy it.
   Have you ever defraged your Kindle?
   What do you think of the idea?
   I assume......that the "library" is somewhat like a hard drive or thumb drive.
   I have been adding and deleting books for about a year
and I wonder what the effect is on the file system.
       Tom

===================
Tom... Thanks so much for such a great question. Here is my opinion (for what it is worth).

When you hook your Kindle to your computer (PC or Mac), it is basically treated (by your computer) as an external drive. That is why a windows user will see that little message asking you to choose what you want to do with what you just connected via USB.

You can view the folders, open the folders, see the individual files (books and all), and if it is a book file, and you have MobiReader or the Kindle app installed on your computer, you can double click on it and see the book on your computer. It is a USB (flash) drive. 

But when it is on its own, it is no longer a USB drive. It is a little computer with an operating system all its own, and it isn't Windows. It is more along the lines of a Mac operating system, and as such, doesn't really need all the attention you would need to give to a PC. I think that was one of the hardest things for me to get used to when I started using my Macbook. I didn't have to spend any time with drive utilities, because the operating system is different and doesn't require much. I use a PC and Mac daily and it is getting kind of funny when I think of the utilities I run frequently on the PC and don't even think about for the Mac. Don't take this the wrong way. I love my PC and depend on it a lot, but now I can say the same thing about the Mac, for entirely different reasons.

So... you don't need to defrag your Kindle. I don't know if doing something like that would affect the operating system or not, but to be safe, I wouldn't do it on any of mine. It isn't necessary, and you will have many years of great reading with your little machine, with no maintenance required. It just doesn't get any better than that. All you have to do is enjoy it!

Warmest Regards,
Cindy


Kindle Skills - From the Desk of Mrs. Wizard - If you have a Kindle you will love this book! Keep Mrs. Wizard in the palm of your hand. Get a sample and see. And if you like it... help me spread the word! 

Ask Mrs. Wizard: Please send me a personal email (mrswizard@mrswizard.com) if you have any questions. I answer all my emails and am more than happy to help any time I can. Your questions mean a lot to me, and may even inspire an article that will help others and make this a more valuable resource to anyone who reads it. 

If you are reading this on your computer and would like to have this blog delivered to your Kindle wirelessly every day, click the link below. New subscribers will get the first two weeks free! If you know of a fellow Kindle owner, please share a good word and let them know about From the Desk of Mrs. Wizard - A Kindle Blog