Monday, February 22, 2010

MobiPocket Reader

Originally posted February 22, 2010 by Cindy O'Neal 

This is an absolute MUST freeware application you need on your computer if you own a Kindle. It is amazing! The free MobiPocket Reader software is a great way to read free ebooks on your computer, but it is also a terrific way to take your very own documents (Word Documents, html files, pdf files, text files) and convert them to something your Kindle can easily read by dragging and dropping your completed file right into the reader software. The converted files automatically go into a folder named My eBooks, which can be found in your Documents folder. Handy huh?

I have quite a few of my favorite homemade "Lotions and Potions" recipes listed in one document, then converted with the MobiPocket Reader for use on the Kindle. When I update my original file, I usually just delete the old converted file, and replace it with a new one. I have another "homemade ebook" with my favorite food recipes. It is amazing how much easier it is to grab the Kindle when you want to make your special pancakes or bread recipe... sure beats rummaging through a book or a drawer full of loose papers.

There are also two Creator editions (free) if you are familiar with web editing, html files and would enjoy the satisfaction of creating your own ebooks from scratch. My food recipes were done with the Creator edition. I basically created a web page (html file) with Dreamweaver, gave the titles to each recipe an H1 designation. The creator edition of MobiPocket has an option to create a table of contents (clickable) ... I just told it to look for every H1 designation, and that would be an item to link to... Now this is really simplified for brevity, but it really was easy...a lot easier than you would think... a few mouse clicks and I have a very professional ebook, complete with a clickable table of contents.