Thursday, April 19, 2007

Wow! VISTA! Day 2 of VISTA Ultimate...

Replacing a laptop is never a fun job. Picking it out and drooling over all the new technology since the last one was "born" is the fun part. What is NOT fun is having to install all the software you use and enjoy.

I am pretty good about saving my installation CDs and certainly am religious about any and all registration information in a nice little special AZZ file, so my chore is more time consuming than anything else. So far only one of my favorite programs is a "no go" on Vista. My Synchromagic is no longer being supported or updated by the author, so I need to find another nice (easy) backup program to use with the new machine. Heaven knows I have several in the Gems area, so I will certainly go through those first.

One of the first things I noticed the first time I turned on the new machine was how everything looked soooooo different! You may find, even if you are a long time Windows user, things just aren't where they were before! It is very different.

Here is a screenshot of hubby's identity. It is the way Windows Vista looks without any modifications.



And this one is my log in, after a few cosmetic modifications (a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!)



Look for lots of helpful tips and tricks as I muddle through this interesting new operating system. I'll be going for the really important stuff first, like how to make those sissy icons a more reasonable size on the desktop, how to change your wallpaper and remain sane, how to find your stuff... Stay tuned. Ol Mrs. Wizard is back in the saddle again, and on a VISTA mission!