Sunday, April 22, 2007

Vista - Day 5 - Security?

It sure seems as though it has been a lot longer than 5 days with this new VISTA machine. I'm still not productive with it, can't use any of my graphic or web design software until the new versions arrive (hopefully next week). In the meantime I have plenty on my hands just dealing with the initial shakedown and the most simple things.

Before any software can be installed, let alone run, you have to give Vista permission. This was particularly after installing WinRar. Not only do I have to give it permission, I have to give it Administrator permission just to run. The latest version worked ok, but I had no right click functionality. After doing a quick Google search, I found the latest beta version of WinRar fixed this issue. Don't know what I would do without Google. Finding the answers to each of these issues is quick and no more than a few keystrokes away.



I can't even get a screen shot of the permission window. Everything fades out when it appears and SnagIt won't capture during that time... As a last resort, I whipped out the trusty digicam. There are more ways than one to skin this cat.

In the meantime... I'll try not to bitch too much in the future. Right now it is one program at a time, and I'm sure glad I still have our main machine with good ol XP on it.