Friday, April 20, 2007

VISTA Adventure - Day 3 - EMail

Part of breaking in a new computer is installing all my favorite software. I'm going to have to wait about a week or so for the latest Adobe stuff to arrive before I can install my graphic and web design programs. All my Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop etc. evidentally won't work with Vista properly, so I'll be starting with fresh upgrades there.

In the meantime, I wanted to be able to receive my email on this new little monster, but haven't had time to check out Incredimail compatibility yet, and I'm not ready to give the Vista version of Outlook Express a go yet so I just used my GMail account to (temporarily) receive all my other email addresses. Well! I have to tell you. I am impressed! The GMail spam filters are terrific. It is handling all my email like a champ. The interface isn't as pretty as Incredimail, but it sure is secure, and with over 2 Gb of space allowance, it is more than enough for my needs.

I usually use MailWasher to pre-screen my email and eliminate the spam before I do a regular email run in my favorite email program, but I am quickly becoming spoiled by GMail. I'm saving a lot of time by not having to do that extra step.

If you would like to give GMail a go, you can sign up for your FREE account at http://mail.google.com.