Friday, May 25, 2012

Rude Shutdown on Kindle Fire

There are times when you just don't have any other choice. You must do a complete shutdown on your Kindle Fire so you can restart it and hope it will heal itself. Actually your Kindle Fire is pretty good at healing itself in many instances... if you can get it to shut down. I had to do a rude shutdown (forced shutdown) on my Kindle Fire a few weeks ago and it drove me crazy, refusing to completely shut down, remaining locked up, generally causing me to go cross-eyed until I did a quick search on Google and came across some kind soul who suggested not just holding the power button down for "several" seconds, but counting to 20. By the time I pronounced the number 20, the thing had not only shut down, it was in the process of rebooting. I was a happy camper, that's for sure.

Here's what you need to do:

  • To do a hard reset on your Kindle Fire, press and hold the power button for a full 20 seconds. Then release the power button. (press and hold, count 20, then release)
  • When your Kindle has completely shut down, press the power button once more to have it restart.


And it hasn't locked up since!