Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lending Your Kindle Fire

A few days ago I had the opportunity to do a really good deed, bring a little seasoned citizen lady into the 21st century and share a really good book I had been reading... all by letting her borrow my Kindle Fire for a while.

A few things to think of before lending your Kindle:

  • Make sure it is well charged. I didn't include the charging cable because I am figuring by the time the battery goes down, it will be time for it to come home.
  • Turn off the wifi... not that this lady would know how to connect it to her home wifi, but it is a way to keep her from accidentally adding any new books via my Amazon account without my knowledge. Your Kindle is tied to your Amazon account. The only other thing you could (and should) do if you are going to be lending your little machine for any length of time would be to deregister the thing in the Manage My Kindle area of your Amazon account. I really didn't see a need for that.
  • Be sure to give the person you are lending your Kindle to a nice leisurely hands on run down on what she will need to know when she gets it home. I also encouraged her to phone if she had any questions or got stuck with something. I opened the book I wanted her to enjoy with her there, and personally showed her how to use her fingers to go forward and back in the book. I also showed her how to touch in the center to see the other choices, like the Home button and the funny looking button in the middle that gives you choices as to where you can go in the book (like the table of contents etc)
  •  RELAX knowing your Kindle will be in good hands, you have done something really nice for someone and you are probably creating a new Kindle Monster
This author has
lots of great advice!
The book? Writing in InDesign (second edition).  This author is writing to all of us who have a book (or two or three) in us but don't have the means (or the patience) to follow the traditional print publishing and agent route. The tips and instructions are written in a way that is very helpful but not an insult to anyone's intelligence. VERY good book!

I'm going to be using his methods and advice when I convert the book my husband is working on for the Kindle. I have been using InDesign for years, but am developing a new appreciation for it and will be using it a lot more in the future. It certainly does things your word processor can't. Even if you won't be using InDesign personally, there are plenty of nuts and bolts tips and advice nuggets that will make you think, "Gee!  I can do this!"