Friday, March 19, 2010

Multiple Kindles

Originally posted March 19, 2010 by Cindy O'Neal

This has been bothering me a while. How many Kindles can you have on one account? I did some digging in various Kindle forums and the conclusion I came to (tentatively) is this:

You can have as many Kindles as you want on one account. I'm talking regular Kindles (1st and 2nd generation as well as the DX). Kindle applications (apps) for the iPod/iTouch, PC and Mac each count as additional "Kindles" because they can be tied to your account too. They can be installed and activated or deactivated for Kindle use as needed.

I have a Kindle 1 (daughter Kelly is happily using that), a Kindle 2 and a Kindle DX (hubby and I go back and forth between those two). That's 3 devices so far. Add my iTouch to that, and the PC app and that makes 5. I am itching to download the Kindle for Mac app to tinker with it and share my thoughts about it here, but heck... that is going to take me up to the magic number 6. Considering the 6 device limit on some books, and the unlikeliness of that happening, I am going to install the Mac app today and give it a good work out. When I add another device, we will see what happens. I love living on the edge like this! When it comes to books, I am enjoying having all these options and all these different tools to make things happen.

Here is what was confusing me. Most Kindle books you purchase can only be used on (up to) 6 devices tied to the same account at the same time. I feel much better now, because it is highly unlikely I would have any book on all the "devices" at the same time. Free books should be pretty much unlimited as far as the number of devices you can use them on. Guess we'll find out when I add Kindle number 7!

Isn't it amazing how the number of "Kindle devices" on one account can add up?