Sunday, February 28, 2010

Need an extra Kindle?

Originally posted February 28, 2010 by Cindy O'Neal

If you have an IPhone, ITouch, or a Blackberry, you have an extra Kindle reader. You just need to find the proper app, download it and install it. The best way is to do it from the device itself. I don't have a Blackberry, but I do have an ITouch. I use it for all sorts of things, listening to audible.com audio books, checking email at night (using the wireless network) when the house computers are turned off, and reading books when I want something really small in my hand.

With the ITouch, you need to be able to connect to the Internet, touch the App Store button and do a search for Kindle. That will take you to the app store where you can choose to download and install it on your little machine. Once installed, open the app and log in with your Amazon account. This will also set it up as an extra Kindle device tied to your account. You will have access to all the books you have purchased on Amazon. Like other apps installed on your ITouch/IPhone, it will look for updates automatically whenever you are connected to the Internet, so you will always have the latest and greatest.


The Kindle for ITouch app isn't a Kindle killer. It won't do everything your Kindle will do, but it can be a pretty good addition to your e-reader arsenal. Some don't like reading on the ITouch, they think it is too small and the back-lit screen is hard on the eyes. I don't have a problem with it. I can go between my ITouch or a regular Kindle with no problems at all. Actually it can be more discreet when it comes to sneaking your favorite book into the bathroom. Just tuck that sucker into your pocket. No one needs to know you are carrying your "library" with you. Of course they may suspect when you end up in there an ungodly long time.

If you have a book on your Kindle and want to read it on your ITouch/IPhone, it will synchronize the last page read between devices, as though it is a regular Kindle. I like this... You can choose to not synch if you are sharing a book with another family member too. Lately I have been reading the I Heart Bloomberg series on my ITouch and since Kelly finished them already, my ITouch wanted to synchronize to the end of the book on "Kelly's Kindle."   Kinda felt like a little stalker there for a while... My little ITouch Kindle was telling me where my daughter was on her machine. Of course you can choose not to synchronize too, which is what I did in that instance. Nifty huh?

You can get free book samples sent right to your ITouch/IPod Kindle. It is a "send to" choice when you are shopping on Amazon in the Kindle store. If you can connect to the Internet with your ITouch/IPod, you can also access your book archives on Amazon.

From what I understand so far, you are allowed up to 6 devices on your Amazon Kindle account. This seems to be plenty for us right now, but I can see where I would be happier if the number were higher. We have four computers in this house, one is a Macbook. I already have the (free) Kindle for PC app on my main computer, but if I add it to my Mac (and I would love to, just to test and see for myself), that will bring me up to my limit of 6 devices (Kindle 1, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, PC and ITouch). When a new Kindle appears, I know I will want one, and that will bring me up to 6, unless I want to start thinning out my old Kindles or remove the software from the PC). Oh well, I will cross that little bridge when I get to it and let you know. I DO love these little machines!